THE MESSAGE! Summer 2012

Saturday, May 7, 2011

The book that did it all!

When i was 12 years old, reading was not important part of my life unless it was to help me keep from failing a class. Although I was obsessed with magazine titles such as Creepy and Eerie, monthly publications produced by Warren publishing. Bizarre stories, lots of blood and guts, usually some weird twist involved. Lots of vampires, werewolves, weirdos the like! These magazines took me to a place in my mind that I reveled in. Why that is I don't know, maybe growing up in a one horse town in east Texas, introverted, bullied by others including my older brothers led to a desire to escape reality. I remember waiting anxiously for the next months issues to come out. My mom and dad both worked so this left a lot of time to hide my interests. The pharmacy owner must have thought I had some issues constantly checking for the latest issues! I dreamed of being a vampire or werewolf, anything to give me power to act out my vengeance Also to give me the ability to live a in a world of darkness, my friend. My imagination ran wild, soon I required more complex stories to fuel my desire. Good thing my older brother had a paperback copy of Interview with the Vampire! This was what I like to call the turning point in fascination with horror and the world of phantasy. Definitely a lot  of information for a 12 year old to process! Actually a sizable amount of confusion came from reading this book in the midst of adolescence. I'm sure if my parents had known I was reading it they would have freaked! Burned into my psyche was this world of strange creatures that inhabited strange places, right down my alley. After yrs of being self conscious of my fascination with books, movies and anything with that was in direct conflict with reality I decided one day why not embrace it. I rationalized that my brain was a huge hard drive of 38 years of information that can be instantly accessed or so I say , laughs out loud! I decided why not put it down on paper, so here I am writing the draft of a story that I think will be fabulous. I guess in time we shall see, but the fact that I decided to embrace my true interests without regard for what my friends might think is a milestone for me! And surprisingly they have shown tremendous support. Life is a trip sometimes, but can be fun if you let it!

2 comments:

  1. What a great post, Bill! I'm happy to read of your journey, and of your willingness to embrace that which you love. Go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I figured out how to leave a comment...so here it is. Yes, you have a lot of supporters. So, go for it bud! Can't wait to read more.

    ReplyDelete